Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Journey of 1000 Miles Begins with a Single Step

I had been taking yoga classes for a couple of years before a new teacher came to the studio who changed my life.  Her name was Kimberly Flynn and she was from Jivamukti and she chanted and talked about all kinds of things that were part of yoga but I had never heard of.  Before I started taking yoga classes, it is safe to say that I was completely disconnected from my body.  The asana practice made me a home here in my body and I am incredibly grateful for that.  What has made an even bigger difference for me though is what I have come to think of as The Big Yoga.  Many others refer to this as “yoga off the mat.”  It’s all of the yoga practices and concepts that can be used in real life—that’s what I really love about yoga.  Aadil Palkhivala uses the term “applied yoga philosophy,” which is very apt.

I enjoy talking about yoga, which is what led me to start this blog.  I’m not interested at all, however, in talking about it just to talk about it as a purely intellectual exercise.  What is fun for me is bringing yoga concepts into real life, looking over and over again at the question of how I live my yoga.  So I am inviting you to join me in this adventure.  By committing to this blog, I hope to pay even closer attention to my own yoga practice.  I would love to have your questions and comments to stoke the exploration.

My disclaimer is that I may not always have the most traditional interpretation of things and that sometimes some Buddhism or something else will come in.  I am just sharing my experience and my understanding of things based on that experience and I don’t care about splitting hairs.  What I do care about is Keepin’ It Real.

It’ll be fun.  Let’s go!

No comments:

Post a Comment