Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Love the Internet

Today, I am thinking about things I love and at the top of the list is the internet.  Which is pretty timely (though I don’t use the internet really to keep up on politics and news, but I happen to know that there is something going on about this right now).  Anyway, let me tell you about my happy findings.
I love Rob Brezsny’s Free Will Astrology, which I think you can read in The Stranger, but I read on the internet.  This week, my horoscope quoted a poem that moved me so much, I’m going to put the whole thing right here:
FAMOUS 
by Naomi Shihab Nye
The river is famous to the fish.
The loud voice is famous to silence,
which knew it would inherit the earth
before anybody said so.
The cat sleeping on the fence is famous to the birds
watching him from the birdhouse.
The tear is famous, briefly, to the cheek.
The idea you carry close to your bosom
is famous to your bosom.
The boot is famous to the earth,
more famous than the dress shoe,
which is famous only to floors.
The bent photograph is famous to the one who carries it
and not at all famous to the one who is pictured.
I want to be famous to shuffling men
who smile while crossing streets,
sticky children in grocery lines,
famous as the one who smiled back.
I want to be famous in the way a pulley is famous,
or a buttonhole, not because it did anything spectacular,
but because it never forgot what it could do.
I am also putting the link that was in my horoscope, that takes you to a whole blog of poetry.  There’s some good stuff in there.  And it reminded me that I love poetry and I love being moved. 
And then, just now, before I started typing this, I was reading another blog that someone told me about, which is very funny in a dark and vulnerable way.  And I was thinking I love humor and vulnerability and creativity.
So today, I’m just enjoying enjoyment, enjoying gratitude and love and appreciation.  I always associate gratitude with santosha (contentment).  Which reminds me of another blog on this wonderful thing called the internet, where we get to connect with all kinds of people we don’t even know and share ideas and bits about ourselves and make all kinds of cool discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment